Tuesday, April 10, 2018

26A – Celebrating Failure

During this semester, I joined the club golf team. I am relatively new at golf, but I'm a natural athlete and figured I could easily pick it up. But after playing and playing and playing, I have failed to get much better. Also, I have failed to qualify for any club tournaments because I keep getting beat out by my fellow club members who have been playing for years and years. So after hacking up the course time and time again, I decided that I did not want to fail any longer and that I need to change my ways.

I learned that it was pretty arrogant of me to just think I can hop into the sport and be good. So after being humbled, I have buckled down, watched tons of videos, and have really started practicing hard. I have finally started to feel like I am breaking through and I am improving, so I learned to appreciate that hard work breeds greatness and to not come into anything thinking I know it all.

Failure is humbling and embarrassing, but I don't believe you can be great without failure. I was embarrassed about being the absolute worst player on the time because I have never been even close to the worst at anything, but I have learned a new appreciation for the sport. Failure has taught me to view things in a different light and it makes me want to overcome it. I am definitely hard on myself after failure, but I believe I am pretty self aware and I know when I need to step it up. I believe that this class has taught me that failure is okay and that a lot of successes come from failures. With these thoughts in mind, I am definitely willing to take more risks because I understand that it is okay to fail.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,
    Failure is always a hard thing to face, but especially when you don't predict it. I think you did a great job addressing the issue and working to find a solution to it. I also think that failure springs growth and that while it can be difficult, it is just apart of life.

    ReplyDelete